The son of a couple who died in a crash has paid tribute to his "wonderful" parents at an inquest into their deaths.

Speaking on behalf of his family, Kevin Simmons told Suffolk Coroners' Court in Ipswich on Monday that his mother Margaret was a "wonderful friend", while his father Augustin was a "mentor and inspiration".

Mr and Mrs Simmons - aged 87 and 86 respectively - died after their silver Ford Fusion collided with a cement lorry at a roundabout at the junction of the A134 with Melford Road in Long Melford.

READ MORE: Peggy and John Simmons named as Sudbury crash victims

PC Dean Webb, Forensic Collision Investigator for Suffolk police, read a statement from a colleague who investigated the incident and said the car had clipped a traffic island before veering onto the wrong side of the road and into the path of the lorry.

He said evidence from the scene suggested the brakes had not been applied to bring the vehicle to a halt or gain control.

The investigating officer said Mr Simmons may have been "incapacitated or unconscious due to sleep or had a medical episode" prior to the crash.

READ MORE: Community 'numb' after crash near Sudbury that killed two

His son - who was joined at the inquest by the couple's daughters Linda Butler and Karen Stapleton - described how Mrs Simmons, a retired teacher at Sible Hedingham School, was "loved and respected" by her pupils who stayed in touch with her after she left the school.

Of his father, who was also a teacher, he said he became a keen fisherman and played bowls regularly after retiring following a brief stint as a painter and decorator.

"He was a wonderful father who will always be missed and loved," his son added.

The couple - known as Peggy and John - were taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge following the crash shortly before 4pm on April 28, with Mr Simmons suffering multiple fractures, including to the spinal cord.

Mrs Simmons, who was a front seat passenger in the car, also sustained multiple fractures.

They died on April 30.

Catherine Wood, assistant coroner for Suffolk, recorded that the couple had died in a road traffic collision and passed on her condolences to the family.