A convicted sex offender who did gardening work at a north Suffolk school as a volunteer in breach of a court order has been jailed for 16 months.

Kevin Corrick visited the school to deliver gardening products and to cut grass over a period of 10 months without telling anyone he was banned from going to schools under a sexual harm prevention order, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

Corrick, 63, of Nightingale Court in Blyburgate, Beccles, admitted four breaches of a sexual harm prevention order made in 2012 after he was jailed for 15 years for raping and sexually assaulting a schoolgirl and making indecent images of children.

The breaches related to him entering an educational establishment between March and December 2023 and working in a youth organisation when he was banned from doing so under the terms of the order.

East Anglian Daily Times: Corrick was sentenced at Ipswich Crown CourtCorrick was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court (Image: Suffolk police)

He also admitted failing to notify the authorities that he had an Amazon tablet and a new bank card.

Jailing him for 16 months, Judge Emma Peters said sexual harm prevention orders had an important use in ensuring that people convicted of sex offences were regulated in the way they lived their lives when they were released from prison.

The court heard that Corrick had attended a school over a period of 10 months as a volunteer supplying items to the school and providing gardening services through the Man Shed community project.

Asked by police why he didn’t tell anyone he was the subject of a sexual harm prevention order, he said he didn’t want to lose his role.

He denied visiting the school to get access to children but admitted being sexually attracted to children.

He told police: “I can’t help what’s in my head.”

Claire Matthews, for Corrick, said her client had not had any unsupervised contact with children and his role had been limited to delivering gardening products and lawn strimming at the school through Man Shed.

She said Corrick had been released from prison in 2019 and had not reoffended since his release.

She said he realised he had done wrong and was remorseful.