A man from Ipswich who died aged 77 was likely exposed to asbestos during his working life, an coroners' court has heard.

On Friday, several inquest openings and conclusion readings were heard at Suffolk Coroners’ Court in Ipswich.

An inquest concluded into the death of John Burgess from Ipswich.

Mr Burgess had worked as an electrician, the court was told, and was likely exposed to asbestos in the form of pipes, rope, filler and tiles.

Asbestos is the name given to a group of naturally occurring fibrous minerals which are resistant to heat and corrosion.

Because of these desirable properties, asbestos was historically used in commercial products such as insulation, fireproofing materials and wallboard materials.

Asbestos is dangerous because when disturbed, it releases tiny fibres into the air which become trapped in the lungs. The use of asbestos is now banned.

Mr Burgess died at home on December 11. The court heard that he had locally advanced malignant mesothelioma, a cancer of mesothelial tissue which is associated with exposure to asbestos.

Senior coroner for Suffolk Nigel Parsley found that Mr Burgess had died as the result of an industrial disease.

The inquest into the death of Joseph Austin, from Witnesham, was also brought to a close.

Mr Austin, who died aged 75, had worked as an insulation engineer since leaving school, the court heard.

It is thought that this is how he came into contact with asbestos, although exactly when could not be ascertained.

Mr Parsley passed a narrative conclusion, finding that Mr Austin died from a serious chest infection against a background of a lung condition which was caused by asbestos fibres, although exactly when and where he was exposed to the substance could not be ascertained.