Fire crews were scaled back last night after a huge blaze broke out at a former industrial site in Sudbury yesterday afternoon.

A total of 16 appliances from two counties were fighting the massive roof blaze at the former Delphi site in the town.

UPDATE: Boy, 14, arrested after huge fire in Sudbury

Crews were called to the blaze, just off Newton Road, at about 5.10pm on Tuesday

East Anglian Daily Times: A number of firefighters were called to the blazeA number of firefighters were called to the blaze (Image: Newsquest)

Thick black smoke could be seen across Sudbury as firefighters worked to get the blaze under control.

A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the fire broke out in the derelict factory, which is approximately 100mx100m, and 20% of it was on fire.

A police cordon was put in place and people living nearby were asked to keep their windows and doors shut while the fire service attended the blaze.

East Anglian Daily Times: Firefighters at the sceneFirefighters at the scene (Image: Newsquest)

An eyewitness, who asked not to be named, said smoke was billowing from the roof of the building. 

He added: "It was huge. I am not sure how it started but there was a lot of police and firefighters there."

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service had to cut open the main gate to access the site. 

Drone footage showed the corner of the roof was well alight and firefighters were working hard to tackle the blaze.

A 'stop' time was called at 7.51pm, but some fire crews remained on scene into the night.

East Anglian Daily Times: Firefighters had to cut the gate open to access the fireFirefighters had to cut the gate open to access the fire (Image: Newsquest)

Delphi Diesel Systems closed in mid-2020 with hundreds of job losses.

The American-owned conglomerate behind the site decided to move the manufacturing operation - which made diesel fuel injectors and filters for commercial vehicles - to Romania in eastern Europe.

Appliances from Sudbury, Long Melford, Hadleigh, Woodbridge, Ixworth, Bury St Edmunds, Colchester, Haverhill, Clare and Halstead fire stations were all in attendance.

The cause of the fire is not yet known.

In March this year, a gas leak was reported as coming from the site.